- Don’t be scared! Get out and do something! According to the Stress Management Center and Phobia Institute in Asheville, North Carolina, an estimated 17 to 21 million people in the United States are affected by a fear of Friday the 13th making it the most feared day and date in history. Some people are so paralyzed by fear that they avoid their normal routines in doing business, taking flights or even getting out of bed. “It’s been estimated that $800 or $900 million is lost in business on this day”. Don’t be one of them! From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_the_13th
- Free hip hop pizza party and open dance from 6:00 until 9:00 p.m. for ages 3-19 at John Leggio’s Center for the Performing Arts with drawing giveaways for huge prizes (including one free year of dance) at 8:00. Everyone will receive a gift and coupons for other types of free classes over the coming months.
- Bark Island is back! Bring your bestest furry pals over to Pine Island to splash, play, and enjoy the beach from 7:30 until 9:30 a.m.!
- Responsible Dog Ownership Day hosted by The Hernando County Kennel Club at Silverthorne Shopping Plaza starting at 9:00 am where you can learn about a variety of breeds, meet owners and handlers, and enjoy various demonstrations throughout the day.
- Guided Walk at Big Pine Tract 9:00 am – 11:00 am with Chinsegut Conservation Center docent, David Rakes, uncovering the hidden colors of early fall wildflowers blooming on the Brooksville Ridge.
- 2nd Annual Crews Lake Park Appreciation Day 10:00 am – 4:00 pm with Central Pasco & Gulf Railroad providing rides to the public through close to two miles of the Park (a $3 donation is requested). The day will also feature 40,000 lady bugs being released into the park, McGruff the Crime Dog making an appearance, the Sheriff’s Office’s being represented by the Mounted Posse. and the Crime Prevention Unit providing child DNA kits at no charge.
- Paddle for Ireland at the Upper Deck restaurant 12:00 pm – 5:00 pm featuring kayak and canoe races, a pig roast, a corn hole tournament, a raffle and auctions. Bands and a DJ will entertain.
- Bowling for Boobies 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm at Mariner Lanes benefiting Making Strides Against Breast Cancer and the American Cancer Society.
- Spring Hill Writing Group meeting 3:00 pm – 4:00 pm at the Spring Hill Branch Library where attendees give and receive constructive feedback on writings. This group is meant to encourage anyone who writes, or would like to write, and wants the support and camaraderie of other writers. Writers and non-writers alike are welcome.
- Fundraiser for Mermaid Samantha 4:00 pm – 7:00 pm at Chick-fil-A to benefit Weeki Wachee’s own “Mermaid Samantha” Maywell was involved in a terrible boating accident a few weeks ago that nearly severed her left leg. There will be raffles, a donation bucket, a few of Monster Transmission’s beautiful cars, and mermaids! A percentage of Chick-fil-A’s sales during the event will be donated to Samantha.
- Hispanic Heritage Month Celebration starting at 6:00 pm at Suncoast Dance and Party Center kicking off with the Miss Hispanic Queen of Hernando County competition followed by a dance party with music by DJ Willie Matos.
- Line Dance Social 6:30 pm – 9:30 pm at the Brookridge Clubhouse where DJ Dave will entertain. Those attending should bring their own snacks, beverages and ice. No lessons will be provided, but instructors will be on hand to give assistance. Nonresidents are welcome. Tickets are $5, available at the door.
- 1st Annual Howler Poker Run to benefit the Special Olympics of Hernando County will begin at 10:00 a.m. and the last kickstand is up at noon leaving from the Horse & Crown. Stops will include the Sandtrap, Sleepy Hollow, Rebar, and the last bike will be in at 4:00 ending at the Sail Inn with live music, auction, and raffles.
- Silverthorn Bridal & Prom Expo 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm at Silverthorn Country Club featuring dozens of specialty vendors from Hernando County as well as the Greater Tampa Metro Area, all in one beautiful venue, ready to service your upcoming Wedding, Party or Prom needs, big or small, simple to spectacular.
Mark your calendar for the Lake House Bluesfest November 23rd!
Click here to stay updated on this event to benefit local food banks.
Special thanks to the SpringHillNow.com Sponsor of the Month for September: