Improper Use of a Generator Kills Dog; Critically Injuring Another Dog

At approximately 10:56 a.m., Hernando County Fire Rescue (HCFR) responded to a call for a portable generator possibly being run inside a home. Neighbors were pounding on doors attempting to help determine the occupancy of the home.
HCFR crew responded to the location and forced entry into the residence. They did find a portable generator running inside the garage with the garage door closed. They also found two dogs inside the home. No persons were in the home at the time. The dogs were evacuated from the garage. One dog was killed, more than likely due to the carbon monoxide fumes. The other dog was found to be alive but requiring aggressive treatment by fire/rescue personnel. Crews will be working with Hernando County Animal Services to further care for the dog.
HCFR has had two significant emergencies related to improper generator usage during Hurricane Irma. Residents should be aware that generator usage is deadly if not used appropriately. A home was destroyed by a generator catching fire on Monday, September 11, 2017.21640883_1763289200630288_589675047639533483_o
HCFR urges residents to follow manufacturer recommendations in the proper usage and placement of portable generators. Safety tips for general generator usage is available at the following link:
http://www.nfpa.org/public-education/resources/safety-tip-sheets – select portable generators

Be Sociable, Share!