The 1st Annual Hernando Beach Cardboard Boat Race is looking for cardboard boat entries! Entries for the race can be accepted up until the day of (registration forms available at www.hernandobeachmarina.com) and the cost to register is $25 for individuals or $50 for businesses. The race will be held on September 21st at the Hernando Beach Marina (4139 Shoal Line Blvd Hernando Beach, FL 34607) and will feature live entertainment, vendors, and food. All proceeds of the race go to boating education and practical marine environmental issues (clean ups in the area waters). 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place awards will be given for individuals, businesses, mechanical entries, unique design, and the Titanic Award (most dramatic sinking must make best effort not to sink).
Cardboard Boat Race Rules
- All boats must be built of corrugated cardboard only. The only exceptions are: oars and in the mechanical division the propulsion system, and steering devices. These exceptions are of course, not part of the boat proper and can be constructed of materials other than cardboard.
- If the judges deem it necessary, boats must pass the dreaded “Ice Pick Test” & metal detector test to verify that the boat is constructed of only cardboard.
- No motors.
- Cardboard boat may be as thick as you want it to be. Thickness of cardboard doesn’t matter at all.
- Waterproofing the entire boat with one-part substance paint is acceptable to prevent boat from sinking. One-part waterproofing substances are easily obtained at a paint or hardware store. (A two-part substance would include those that require the addition of a catalyst or hardener…. This eliminates epoxy glue, fiberglass, and certain varnishes.)
- Boats cannot be wrapped with plastic or duct tape or any similar tape or wrap. Duck tape can only be used at the seams and stress points. However, you are allowed to reinforce all seams and stress points with tape before waterproofing.
- Contestants are not allowed to use any substance which might be harmful to the environment.
- Contestants should take care to ensure that the construction of your boat does not include pointed projections and sharp edges that might cause personal injury.
The race is sponsored by the Hernando Beach Marine Safety Support Group (HBMSSG), Hernando Beach Marina www.hernandobeachmarinas.com and ALLSTAR Awards. To become a vendor or to entertain please contact Jackie Farmer for a vendor application at email@example.com, 352.666.7239